If you’re searching for a pellet grill that has the quality and performance standards to last for years, consider the Camp Chef Woodwind Series
The Woodwind Series by Camp Chef stands out as a premier smoker for intermediate and advanced outdoor chefs.
I’ll cover the options available for this particular line of pellet grills from Camp Chef. But, I will also take a deep dive into my Woodwind 24 with Wi-Fi. I personally own this pellet grill and have used it for the past 2 years.
My findings here are based on information I found on DJDuckett.com a “Community for men and dads”, my own experience, and other sources.
The Camp Chef Woodwind Line
The Woodwind line comes in 2 standard sizes, the Woodwind 24 and Woodwind 36
The great thing about the Camp Chef woodwind is the option to add accessories that can take your grilling life to the next level.
In addition to the base models for this line, add-ons are also available for the right side of the unit that includes the “sidekicks”. The SideKick replaces the right side shelf with a propane searing station, flat top griddle, or an artisan pizza oven.
The Grill Cover
To ensure your pellet grill is maintained and safe from the weather, I recommend the grill cover. This isn’t necessarily a recommendation but more of a requirement for this model. If you’re going to spend the money to purchase this high-quality grill, you need to keep it safe and cleaned.
My Experience with the Camp Chef Woodwind
This was enough talking about all the features and options this pellet grill has to offer. Time to dive into my personal experience.
The Woodwind series is a professional-looking unit at first glance. For those looking to upgrade from their first pellet grill to a slightly more advanced model, this line is easy to operate and assemble.
Plugging it in and selecting the right temperature and smoke setting is the easiest way to start any meal. The assembly should take less than 2 hours. Although you will need an extra hand to help move the parts around.
I bought mine at a nice price and with free shipping. Here are the deals I found.
Click here for the Woodwind Current Pricing
Click here to get free shipping on orders of $150 or more.
The primary features between the two available sizes are the same except for the cooking area. Below are the base features and the differences in cooking capacities.
Woodwind 24 grill area
Woodwind 36 grill area
My opinion About the Features
there are features that I think are a great addition and make it so much easier to use this Camp Chef pellet grill and I will share my opinion and experience with them.
The Camp Chef app is an incredible way to monitor and modify your cook settings on all Woodwind models, as well as other Camp Chef cooking solutions, which are compatible with Wifi and the app.
The Woodwind offers (4) temperature probes that can monitor the internal temperatures of what you’re cooking.
The Slide + Grill
The Slide + Grill deflector plate allows you to slide the deflector plate out of the way when grilling to provide direct flame access to your cook.
This can be controlled from the outside of the grill with the “Grill Knob” allowing you to modify the cook from direct to indirect heat.
I like this feature and it gives me the option to sear over an open flame.
This is a PID controller and it allows me to select the mode I need at my fingertips.
Whether it’s the start-up mode, selecting the temperature and smoke settings, or the shutdown mode, the ease of use of this system is amazing.
If I run the auger out of pellets, the FEED setting allows me to ensure the burn cup stays fed.
On the right side of the controller, are the (4) temperature probe inputs that come standard with this line.
Pros and Cons
It is of course not all roses and peaches. These are the pros and cons I found while using the Camp Chef Woodwind.
- The quick hopper change using an exterior knob will allow you to empty the hopper quickly to change out the pellet types for specific cooks
- The available accessories will allow you to create more value with your purchase as a one size fits all cooking unit.
- The WiFi controller is a great advantage that will allow you to control your longer cooks and still be able to monitor your temperatures, internal and external while watching football or making the side dishes (don’t forget the side dishes, rookie mistake).
- The overall quality of this series is unmatched. The stainless lid will not rust through and the controller is sturdy and reliable. I have personally owned my unit for over 2 years. Outside of basic cleaning, this is a long-term tool for your outdoor cooking needs.
- While this is a simple unit to assemble when it arrives, it is slightly cumbersome to assemble as it is quite heavy. However, being heavy is a benefit as you can feel the solid construction.
- At times, the smoke settings can seem to be somewhat bipolar and have a mind of their own.
- You will want to cover the grease guard with high-quality aluminum foil to avoid corrosion of this plate. It makes cleaning easier as well. This does drain into the grease bucket which sometimes doesn’t provide the drip-catching quality you would expect.
My Conclusion Of The Camp Chef Woodwind
I will always recommend the Woodwind line to all of my friends. This is a mid-range priced unit but the value of reliability is unmatched. It’s definitely worth the extra money.
Camp Chef does, provide, in this series, a less expensive line with more limited features. With the ability to expand this unit into a one-stop outdoor cooking machine, you can’t go wrong.
One bonus thought, consider the pellets I expect to use in the grill and how they match up to the food I Selected.
Whether you choose to use the more expensive Traeger pellets or a value brand such as Bear Mountain, you need to ensure the flavor will compliment your cook.
I would recommend Bear Mountain over Traeger pellets due to the price point and quality.
I wrote more Camp Chef pellet grill reviews that you can read.
Robert Chill loves to cook on pellet grills and uses all types of recipes and techniques to cook some awesome food. With his experience, he is able to share many reviews, tips, and ideas on how to buy a pellet grill. You can read more about him here